Cite as APA style citation
Honcharenko О. Mizhnarodnyj komercijnyj arbitrazh jak samoregulivna instytucija. Zovnishnja torgivlja: ekonomika, finansy, pravo. 2021. № 1. S. 4-13. Serija. Jurydychni nauky.
|UDC 341.63||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2021(114)01|
Doctor of Law, Associate Professor, Professor at the Department of International, Civil and Commercial Law, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION AS A SELF-REGULATORY INSTITUTION
Background. It is important to determine the features of international commercial arbitration as a procedural means of self-regulation. Is international commercial arbitration able to provide effective protection to businesses in today’s environment, considering the challenges of the digital economy (which is the most dynamic self-regulatory mechanism), environmental changes, hybrid wars, and so on?
Analysis of recent research and publications.The issues of principles, elements and other features of arbitration self-regulation have not been properly investigated.
The aim of the study is to determine the features of international commercial arbitration as a self-regulatory institution.
Materials and methods. During the study, both general scientific and special methods of cognition were used: dialectical, systemic, synergetic, formal-logical, generalization, functional, comparative jurisprudence. Information base of the research – international agreements, national legislation, decisions of international commercial arbitration courts, decisions of state courts, works of domestic and foreign scientists.
Results. International commercial arbitration is an autonomous, unique system with special laws of origin, formation and development. This tool was created as a unified dispute settlement mechanism that is clear and convenient for the business community of all countries. International commercial arbitration has a sign of adaptability, which is emphasized by the speed and flexibility of improving the legal regulation of its activities by relevant self-regulatory organizations.
Challenging, recognizing and enforcing the decisions of international commercial courts are proceedings that are related to the state judicial system, so the elements of self-regulation of arbitration are quite few.
Dispute settlement in a hybrid war can be called a «hybrid investment dispute» or a «hybrid commercial dispute», depending on the subject matter of the dispute.
Conclusion. The arbitration court, which is part of the system of institutionalization of self-regulatory mechanisms, has taken one of the important places and points to the ability of business to resolve disputes independently, without resorting to government instruments.
Functional purpose of international commercial arbitration as a self-regulatory institution: to change quickly and at the same time to be a universal and clear procedure for business originating from different countries.
Keywords: international commercial arbitration, self-regulation, arbitration court, self-regulatory institution, business, economic activity, dispute resolution.
- Cohent, M., & Sundararajant, А. (2017). Self-Regulation and Innovation in the Peer-to-Peer Sharing Economy University of Chicago Law Review Online. (Vol. 82, Iss. 1, Art. 8), (pp.116-133) [in English].
- Cuniberti, G. (2017). Rethinking international commercial arbitration: Towards default arbitration. Edward Elgar Publishing, London [in English] https://doi.org/10.4337/9781786432407.
- Appelbaum, Richard P., Felstiner, William L. F., & Gessner, Volkmar (2001). Rules and networks: the legal culture of global business transactions. Oxford; Portland: Hart Pub. [in English].
- Dezalay, Y., & Garth, Bryant G. (1996). Dealing in Virtue: International Commercial Arbitration and the Construction of a Transnational Legal Order. University of Chicago Press [in English].
- Podtserkovniy, O. P. (2019). Procedury mizhnarodnogo komercijnogo arbitrazhu ta porjadok vykonannja (osporjuvannja) jogo rishen’ jak novyj pravovyj klaster. N’ju-Jorks’ka konvencija pro vyznannja ta vykonannja inozemnyh arbitrazhnyh rishen’: 60‑richna istorija uspihu [Procedures of international commercial arbitration and the procedure for execution (contestation) of its decisions as a new legal cluster. New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards: A 60-Year Story of Success]. Zbirnyk dopovidej i statej do V Mizhnarodnyh arbitrazhnyh chytan’ pam’jati akademika I. G. Pobirchenka – Collection of reports and articles to the V International Arbitration Readings in memory of Academician I.G. Pobirchenko. Kyi’v, (pp. 94-101) [in Ukrainian].
- Haufler, V. (2001). A Public Role for the Private Sector: Industry Self-Regulation in a Global Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Carnegie Endowment for Int’l Peace (August 1, 2001) [in English].
- Goncharenko, O. M. (2016). Konstitutsіynі zasadi samoregulyuvannya gospodarsko Yidіyalnostі [Constitutional principles of self-regulation of economic activity]. Zovnіshnya torgіvlya: ekonomіka, fіnansi, pravo – Foreign trade: economics, finance, law, 1 (84), 28-36 [in Ukrainian].
- Mazarakі, N. A. (2018). Osnovopolozhnі IdeYi Institutu alternativnogo virіshennya sporіv [Fundamental ideas of the institute of alternative dispute resolution]. Naukoviy vіsnik publіchnogo ta privatnogo prava – Scientific Bulletin of Public and Private Law, 6, 112-118 [in Ukrainian].
- Mozhaykіna, O. S. (2020). SutnIst printsipu dobrovіlnostI v medIatsіYi [The essence of the principle of voluntariness in mediation] Naukoviy vіsnik Uzhgorodskogo natsIonalnogo unіversitetu. Pravo – Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University. Law, (Vol. 1, Iss. 61), (pp. 77-79) [in Ukrainian] https://doi.org/10.32782/2307-3322.61-1.17.
- Нoncharenko, O. M. (2020). Teoretiko-pravovі zasadi samoregulyuvannya gospodarskoіi dіyalnostI: dis. … dokt. yurid. nauk za spetsIalnIstyu 12.00.04 Naukovo-doslidnyj instytut pryvatnogo prava i pidpryjemnyctva imeni akademika F. G. Burchaka Nacional’na akademija pravovyh nauk Ukrai’ny [Theoretical and legal principles of self-regulation of economic activity: dis. … Dr. of jurid. sciences, specialty 12.00.04. Scientific Research Institute of Private Law and Entrepreneurship named after Academician F.G. Burchak. National Academy of Legal Sciences of Ukraine]. Kiyiv [in Ukrainian].
- PAO Tatneft v Ukraine (2018). EWHC 1797 (Comm) (13 July 2018) England and Wales High Court (Commercial Court) Decisions. [online]. Retrieved from https://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/Comm/2018/ 1797.html&query=(Ukraine-Russia)+AND+(BIT). (accessed 31 January 2019) [in English].
- Netherlands (2010). No. 34, OAO Rosneft (Russian Federation) v. Yukos Capital s.a.r.l. (Luxembourg), Hoge Raad [Supreme Court], First Chamber, 09/02565 EE, 25 June 2010. Yearbook Commercial Arbitration. Volume XXXV: 423-426 [in English].
- Yukos Capital s.a.r.l. v. OJSC Oil Company Rosneft. [online]. Retrieved from http://www.pravo.ru/store/interdoc/doc/131/Yukos.pdf. (accessed 21 October 2017) [in English].