Doctor of Economics, Professor of the Department of International Economic Relations
of Kiev National University of Trade and Economics
Post-graduate student of the Department of International Economic Relations
of Kiev National University of Trade and Economics
NATIONAL BRANDS INTHE GLOBAL ECONOMY: A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS
Background. The current trend has shown a marked improvement in the positions of developing countries in the ratings of national brands. Their success is explained by increased attractiveness in specific areas, but the assessment of other criteria remains significantly lower than in developed countries. It requires a thorough analysis of the factors which contribute to the strengthening of the international image of countries in the world economy and the identification of key ones that affect the value and sustainability of the national brand.
Analysis of recent research and publications has shown that, despite the high level of existing theoretical developments, the further study needs to determine the factors contributing to the increase in the cost and stability of national brands in the global economy, against the backdrop of increasing global competition.
The aim of the article is to form an author’s concept of the creation and functioning of an effective national brand management, based on the identification of key factors affecting the cost and stability of the national brand.
Materials and methods. The theoretical and methodological background for writing the article was the reports of leading global organizations in the field of national branding –Brand Finance, Anholt-GfK, Bloom Consulting, Future Brand, PWC, as well as the works of domestic and foreign scholars on this topic. The study was conducted using the methods of theoretical generalization, comparative analysis, analysis and synthesis.
Results. To determine the competitive advantages of countries in the world economic space, in the article their world rankings are analyzed, which form the leading world organizations, in particular Brand Finance (Nation Brands), Future Brand (Country Brand Index), GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media (The Anholt-GfK Nation Brand Index), Bloom Consulting (Country Brand Ranking) and the factors, which determine the place of the country in the world economy are identified: development of the investment segment, which includes domestic investment, analysis of opportunities for the development of domestic investment, as well as the analysis of the risk level; development of export potential of the country and reduction of imports; development of human capital as a part of improving innovative production; development of international tourism as a factor in formation of a positive image of the country. The stable interdependence of the presence of strong corporate brands with high positions in the national brand has been proved.
Conclusion. The author’s concept of creation and functioning of effective national brand management includes key factors of influence on national brand in context of macroeconomic, social, corporate and organizational components, which will ensure the creation of a positive perception of country in the world and contribute to the growth of the country’s global competitiveness (improving the place in the global competitiveness rate, growth of foreign trade and volumes of direct investments).
Keywords: Country Brand, Nation Branding, Іnternational Сountry Image.
REFERENCES1. Aronczyk, M. (2013). Branding the Nation – The Global Business of National Identity. New York: Oxford University Press [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199752164.001.0001
2. Fan, Y. (2006). Nation branding: what is being branded. Journal of Vacation Marketing,1. (Vol. 12), 5-14 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1177/1356766706056633
3. Papadopoulos, N. & Heslop, L. A. (2002). Country equity and country branding: problemsand prospects. Journal of Brand Management, 4/5. (Vol. 9), 294-314 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540079
4. Kotler, P. & Gertner, D. (2002). Country as brand, product, and beyond: A place marketing and brand management perspective. Journal of Brand Management, 4/5. (Vol. 9),249-261[in English]. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540076
5. Temporal, P. (2014). Branding for the Public Sector: Creating, Building and Managing Brands People Will Value. Retrieved from http://site.ebrary.com.ezproxy.jamk.fi:2048/lib/jypoly/detail.action?docID=10990950[in English]. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119176824
6. Keller, K. L. (2012). Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity. 4th ed. [in English].
7. Myroshnychenko, V. Nacional’nyj brendyng Ukrai’ny [National branding of Ukraine].Retrieved from http://www/innovations.com.ua›ua/articles/14169/temp [in Ukrainian].
8. Polishko, G. G. (2013). Mizhnarodni rejtyngy nacional’nyh brendiv j ocinka brendu Ukrai’ny [International ratings of national brands and Ukraine’s brand assessment]. Krym. ekon. visn. – Crimean Economic Herald,6 (07). 109-112[in Ukrainian].
9. Shtel’mashenko, A. D. (2013). Brend derzhavy: sutnist’ ta osoblyvosti formuvannja [The brand of the state: the essence and peculiarities of formation]. Nauk. visn. Akademii’ municypal’nogo upravlinnja – Scientific Herald of the Academy of Municipal Management. Serija: Upravlinnja. (Vol. 2). 348-356. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Nvamu_upravl_2013_2_43 [in Ukrainian].
10. Nagornjak, T. (2010). Obraz, imidzh, brend i reputacija terytorii’ v politychnij nauci i praktyci [Vision, image, brand and reputation of territory in the political science and practice]. Trybuna – Tribune, 5-6, 43-44 [in Ukrainian].
11. Starostina A., Kravchenko V., & Lychova G. (2011). Mizhnarodnyj imidzh krai’ny: praktychni aspekty analizu [International image of the country: practical aspects of analysis]. Marketyng v Ukrai’ni – Marketing in Ukraine, 3, 49-58 [in Ukrainian].
12. Brand Finance Nation Brands (2017). The annual report on the world’s most valuable nation brands, October, 24 [in English].
13. Global Top 100 companies by market capitalisation. PwC. 31 March 2018 update [in English].
14. Anholt-GfK Nation Brands IndexSM (NBISM) study (2017, November 16). RetrievedJuly 24, 2018. Retrieved from http://www.gfk.com/insights/press-release/germany-reclaims-top-nation-brand-ranking-with-usa-dropping-to-sixthplace [in English].
15. Morissette, F.(2018). The Rising Importance of a National Brand for Organizations. Part 1: Branding Context & Impact. Françoise Morissette. Queen’s University IRC, 15 [in English].
16. Swedish Institute. Retrieved July 24, 2018, Retrieved from https://si.se/en [in English].
17. Sweden (Official Site). Retrieved July 24, 2018, Retrieved from https://sweden.se [in English].
18. Brand management. Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_management[in English].
19. 10 world-shaping Swedish companies (2018, January 10). Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from https://sweden.se/business/10-world-shaping-swedish-companies [in English].
20. Public Diplomacy Explained: What it Means and Why it Matters (2004, February 19).The Place Brand Observer. Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from https://placebrandobserver.com/what-is-public-diplomacy [in English].
21. Australia’s Nation Brand. Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from https://www.australiaunlimited.com/brand-australia/aboutbrand [in English].
22. Australia Global Innovation Strategy. Retrieved August 7, 2018. Retrieved from https://www.industry.gov.au/strategies-forthe-future/boosting-innovation-and-science [in English].
23. Australia: World Audit Democracy Profile. Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from http://www.worldaudit.org/countries/australia.htm [in English].
24. Canada’s global brand ranks fourth in study of 50 nations – ties with Japan (2017, November 16). Retrieved July 24, 2018. Retrieved from http://www.gfk.com/insights/press-release/canadas-global-brand-ranks-fourth-in-study-of-50-nations-tieswith-japan-1 [in English].
25. Helliwell, J., Layard, R., & Sachs, J. (2018). World Happiness Report 2018, New York:Sustainable Development Solutions Network [in English].
26. Bloom Consulting and Digital Demand - D2. 2017 [in English].
27. Global Top 100 universities. Retrieved from topuniversities.com [in English].
28. Country Brand Index 2017-18. Future Brend. Retrieved from www.futurebrand.com [in English].
29. Anhol’t, S. (2004). Brending: doroga k mirovomu rynku [Branding: the way to the global market]. Moskva: KUDIC-OBRAZ [in Russian].
30. Temporal, P. (2001). Branding in Asia. The Creation, Development, and Management of Asian Brands for the Global Mar-ket. John WiIey&Sons (Asia) Pte Ltd [in English].