|UDC 339.542.2||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2019(103)05|
Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor at the Department of Commodity Studies
and Customs Affairs of the Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
Honored Economist of Ukraine, expert of the Association of Transport
and Forwarding and Logistics Organizations of Ukraine «Ukrzovnishtrans»
Ioann Pavlo II str., 4/6-A, Office 301, Kyiv, 01042, Ukraine
INNOVATION OF THE WTO ON PROCEDURES FOR FOREIGN TRADE IN GOODS
Background. The existence and compliance of international rules for trade in goods suggested by the World Trade Organization (WTO) ensure the confidence and stability for international trade. Barriers for trading countries are pressing issues of the last decades at the global level, and the focus on tariff issues is no longer put today.
Analysis of recent researches and publications. Both politicians and scientists from all over the world have always been engaged in and continue to study the relevant and discussed in the framework of the WTO issues of international trade. At the same time, given the importance and breadth of this problem, the issues of the modern development of international trade, the main directions of such development, require further comprehensive study and analysis.
The aim of the article is the analysis of the innovative aspects of the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA), as a new vector for the development of international trade in goods suggested by the WTO.
Materials and methods. The study was conducted using general scientific methods: a systematic approach, theoretical generalization and comparison, analysis and synthesis. The information base was the current regulatory legal acts of Ukraine, incl. Trade Facilitation Agreement, WTO working materials, scientific articles and dictionaries.
Results. The WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement (entered into force on 22 February 2017) has become one of the consequences of clarification and improvement of existing articles V, VIII and X of the GATT 1947 and the result of lengthy multilateral negotiations on the rules in the field of trade facilitation.
The Agreement on Trade Facilitation within the WTO sets a new vector for the development of international trade in the direction of unification and simplification of the procedural issues of administering world trade in goods, in particular, the procedures available to the entry / exit of goods, the cooperation of border control authorities, the movement of goods under customs control, release and customs clearance of goods, transparency, appeal of decisions, payments and fines, customs formalities and documentation.
Conclusion. A chronological analysis of multilateral trade negotiations within the WTO, an assessment of the content of the Agreement on Trade Facilitation, which is an integral part of the WTO legal framework, as well as the structure of this agreement, outlined in the article, allow us to state that the issues of regulation at the international level of tariff control measures have been exhausted. As we can see, the emphasis in the international plane has shifted from tariff regulation methods to procedural measures, therefore the procedural issues, the control of compliance with formalities when moving goods through customs borders, should be given priority attention at the national levels.
At the same time, the understanding and research of the unified provisions of the Agreement on Trade Facilitation should be continued in order to correlate them with other international agreements and conventions, which define the key provisions on behalf of procedures carried out in the course of international trade in goods.
Keywords: WTO, Trade Facilitation Agreement, simplification of procedures, procedures, customs procedures, administration of trade in goods, international trade in goods.
- Hoda, Anwarul. (2019). Tariff Negotiations and Renegotiations under the GATT and the WTO:Procedures and Practices. Сambridge University Press; 2 ed. [in English].
- Neufeld, N. (2014). The long and winding road: how WTO members finally reached a trade facilitation agreement. WTO Staff Working Paper. ERSD 2014-06 (2014). 13 p. Retrieved from https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/reser_e/ersd201406_e.pdf [in English].
- WTO. (2016). Trade Costs and Inclusive Growth: Cases Studies from WTO Chair Holders. Edited by Robert Teh Maarten Smeets Mustapha Sadni Jallab Fatima Chaudhri. WTO Publications. 304 p. Retrieved from https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/trade-costs-incl-growth_full_e.pdf [in English].
- Hao, Wu. (2018). Trade Facilitation in the Multilateral Trading System: Genesis, Course and Accord.Routledge [in English].
- Guzhva, I. Ju. (2015). Ugoda SOT pro sproshhennja procedur torgivli jak instrument aktyvizacii' uchasti Ukrai'ny v global'nyh lancjugah dodanoi' vartosti [WTO Agreement on Facilitation of Trade Procedures as an instrument to enhance Ukraine's participation in global value added chains]. Visnyk Pryazovs'kogo derzhavnogo tehnichnogo universytetu – Bulletin of the Priazovskyi State Technical University. (Is. 29). (pp. 211-217) [in Ukrainian].
- Kryzhanivs'ka, A. O. (2015). Informatyzacija mytnyh procedur v ramkah Ugody zi sproshhennja procedur torgivli [Informatization of customs procedures within the framework of the Agreement on Trade Facilitation]. Mytna sprava – Customs business, 4 (100), 18-23 [in Ukrainian].
- Romanenko, A. M. (2014). Rol' mehanizmu «jedynogo vikna» u zabezpechenni sproshhennja procedur mizhnarodnoi' torgivli [The role of the «one window» mechanism in ensuring the simplification of international trade procedures]. Naukovi praci MAUP – Scientific works of IAPM. (Is. 42), 223-228 [in Ukrainian].
- Nestoryshen, I. V., & Berezhnjuk, I. I. (2016). Problemy zabezpechennja balansu mizh mytnym kontrolem ta sproshhennjam procedur mizhnarodnoi' torgivli [Problems of ensuring a balance between customs control and facilitation of international trade]. Naukovi praci Kirovograds'kogo nacional'nogo tehnichnogo universytetu. Ekonomichni nauky – Scientific works of the Kirovohrad National Technical University. Economic Sciences, 29, 46-53 [in Ukrainian].
- Gal'ko, S. V., & Tereshhenko, S. S. (2009). General'na ugoda z taryfiv i torgivli v konteksti vyznachennja mytnoi' vartosti [General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade in the context of determining customs value]. Visnyk Kyi'vs'kogo nacional'nogo torgovel'no-ekonomichnogo universytetu – Herald of the Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 6, 21-30 [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda pro sproshhennja procedur torgivli, zatverdzhena Protokolom pro vnesennja zmin do Marrakes'koi' ugody pro zasnuvannja Svitovoi' organizacii' torgivli. Protokol ratyfikovano Zakonom Ukrai'ny № 745-VIII vid 04.11.2015 [The Agreement on Trade Facilitation, as stipulated in the Protocol on the Amendment to the Marrakesh Agreement on Establishing the World Trade Organization. The protocol was ratified by the Law of Ukraine № 745-VIII, Dated 04.11.2015]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/981_053 [in Ukrainian].
- WTO (2013). Agreement on Trade Facilitation – Ministerial Decision – WT/MIN(13)/36 – WT/L/911. 29 p. Retrieved from https://docs.wto.org/dol2fe/ Pages/FE_Search/FE_S_S009-DP.aspx?language=E&CatalogueIdList=121377,121378,121379,121380,121381,121382,121383,121384,121385,121387&CurrentCatalogueIdIndex=5&FullTextHash=&HasEnglishRecord=True&HasFrenchRecord=True&HasSpanishRecord=True [in English].
- General'na ugoda z taryfiv i torgivli (GATT 1947) [General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT 1947)]. Retrieved from http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/cgi-bin/laws/main.cgi?nreg=995_264 [in Ukrainian].
- Slovnyk ukrai'ns'koi' movy [Dictionary of the Ukrainian language]. (1977). (Vol. 8). Kyi'v: Naukova dumka [in Ukrainian].
- Mochernyj, S. V., Larina, Ja. S., Ustenko, O. A., & Jurij, S. I. (2006). Ekonomichnyj encyklopedychnyj slovnyk [Economic Encyclopedia Dictionary]. (Vol. 2). L'viv: Svit [in Ukrainian].