|UDC 330.3″20″||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2019(105)03|
Candidate of Economic Sciences, Senior Lecturer at the Department of Economics and Competition Policy, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
THE ECONOMY IN THE ХХІ CENTURY: TRANSFORMATION OF THE STATE’S ROLE
Background. The main feature of recent decades is the active development of globalization processes, and therefore it is impossible to ignore their influence on the transformation of the role of the state and the effectiveness of state regulation. The construction of a socially oriented economy and a democratic society, based on the innovative model of development, necessitates the urgent solution of the task of determining the new role of the state, which in turn is impossible without the search of the appropriate theoretical basis.
The analysis of recent researches and publications shows that despite the existence of certain scientific achievements, there is still no single point of view regarding the role of the state in the economy. Until now, the boundaries and the relationship between state and market regulation have not been clearly and comprehensively defined.
The aim of the article is to study theoretical and methodological principles of the transformation of the role of the state in the economy under the influence of the latest systemic challenges.
Materials and methods. In the process of research the general scientific and special methods were used, such as: historical and logical; method of retrospective and comparative analysis; system approach; analysis and synthesis.
Results. The key institution of the modern economy is the state. It should not directly interfere in business processes. However, its functions include the creation of such an institutional environment that is capable of ensuring the efficient functioning of an economic mechanism that stimulates innovative development and providing state support to industries that are strategically important for economic development and competitiveness of the national economy.
The various approaches to the role of the state in the economy at different stages of economic development were researched, to establish that it is necessary to perform certain functions in the economy of the country. However, there is a large discrepancy in the views of the limits and skills of state currents in the economy –from liberal to threshold state regulation of economic processes.
Conclusion. After analyzing the current trends of transformation processes, it has been found that for the effective development of the national economy in the 21st century, the strengthening of the role of the state in the economy should not be understood in the old sense as the establishment of a bureaucratic obstacle for entrepreneurship. The state, adjusting former mistakes of economic policy, has to take on the inherent functions of protecting the national economy from the adverse effects of globalization, stimulating innovation development, providing a rational, with a view to the future, the use of resources.
Keywords: state, state regulation of economy, market self-regulation, globalization, competitiveness.
- Adzhemoglu, D., & Robinson, Dzh. (2017). Chomu nacii' zanepadajut' [Why nations are declining]. Kyi'v: Nash format [in Ukrainian].
- Akerlof, Dzh., & Shyller, R. (2017). Hto i jak manipuljuje vashym vyborom [Who and how manipulates your choice]. (O. Gerasymchuk Trans). Кyiv: Nash format [in Ukrainian].
- Gejec', V. (2015). Podolannja kvazirynkovosti – shljah do investycijno orijentovanoi' modeli ekonomichnogo zrostannja [Overcoming quasi-marketability is the path to an investment-oriented model of economic growth]. Ekonomika Ukrai'ny – Ukraine economy, 6, 4-17 [in Ukrainian].
- Grycenko, A. (2017). Arhitektonika ekonomichnoi' bezpeky [Economic security architectonics]. Кyiv: NAN Ukrai'ny, In-t ekonomiky ta prognozuvannja NAN Ukrai'ny [in Ukrainian].
- Zhalilo, Ja. (2016). Pro nacional'ni osoblyvosti ekonomichnogo pragmatyzmu [On the national features of economic pragmatism]. Dzerkalo tyzhnja – Mirror of the week, 49 [in Ukrainian].
- Kindzers'kyj, Ju. (2015). Derzhavne zamovlennja u sviti ta osoblyvosti jogo zastosuvannja u polityci rozvytku: uroky dlja Ukrai'ny [State order in the world and features of its application in development policy: lessons for Ukraine]. Ekonomika Ukrai'ny– Ukraine economy, 3, 4-25 [in Ukrainian].
- Lagutin, V. (2017). Ekonomichna polityka derzhavy ta efekty i'i' realizacii' [The economic policy of the state and the effects of its implementation]. Visnyk Kyi'v. nac. torg.-ekon. un-tu – Herald of the Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 4, 5-20 [in Ukrainian].
- Mazaraki, A., Melnichenko, S., & Duginets, G. (2018). Ukrainian economy growth imperatives. Prague: Coretex CZ SE [in Ukrainian].
- Soto, de E. (2017). Zagadka kapitalu. Chomu kapitalizm peremagaje na Zahodi i nide bil'she [Riddle of capital. Why capitalism wins in the West and nowhere else]. Кyiv: Nash format [in Ukrainian].
- Umanciv, Ju., & Minjajlo, O. (2016). Evoljucija roli ta funkcij derzhavy v ekonomici [Evolution of the role and functions of the state in the economy]. Ekonomichnyj visnyk universytetu – Economic Herald of the University, 28 (1), S. 140-148 [in Ukrainian].
- Smit, A. (2001). Dobrobut nacij. Doslidzhennja pro pryrodu ta prychyny dobrobutu nacij [Welfare of nations. Research on the nature and causes of the well-being of nations]. (O. Vasyl'jeva, Trans). Кyiv: Port-Royal [in Ukrainian].
- Mill', Dzh. S. (1980). Osnovy politicheskoj jekonomii [Fundamentals of political economy]. (A. G. Milejkovskogo, Trans). (Vols. 1-2). Мoscow: Progress [in Russian].
- Kejns, Dzh. M. (2011). Obshhaja teorija zanjatosti, procenta i deneg [The general theory of employment, interest and money]. (N. N. Ljubimova, Trans). Мoscow: Gelios ARV [in Russian].
- Marshall, A. (2010). Principy jekonomicheskoj nauki [Principles of economic science]. (Vols. 3). Мoscow: Bizneskom [in Russian].
- Gjelbrejt, Dzh. K. (2008). Novoe industrial'noe obshhestvo [A new industrial society]. Izbrannoe. Moscow: Jeksmo [in Russian].
- Danylyshyn, B. (2016). Pro taktyku ekonomichnogo rozvytku [On the tactics of economic development]. Livyj bereg – Left Bank. 16.12.2016. Retrieved from http://blogs.lb.ua/bogdan_danylysyn/353627 [in Ukrainian].
- Panchenko, V. (2016). Operacija «deindustrializacija», abo navishho nam promyslovyj renesans [Operation «de-industrialization», or why we need an industrial renaissance]. Dzerkalo tyzhnja – Mirror of the week, 9 [in Ukrainian].
- The World Competitiveness Yearbook 2019. International Institute for Management Development. Lausanne, Switzerland. Retrieved from https://www.imd.org/wcc/products/eshop-world-competitiveness-yearbook [in English].
- Art'omova, T. (2016). Vidnosyny suspil'nogo vidtvorennja v Ukrai'ni u konteksti transformacii' modelej derzhavnogo upravlinnja [Relations of social reproduction in Ukraine in the context of transformation of governance models]. Ekonomichna teorija – Economic theory, 3, 5-17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15407/etet2016.03.005 [in Ukrainian].