Cite as APA style citation
Duhinets H., Nizheiko K. Mizhnarodni strategichni al'jansy: spivpracja kompanij v IT-sferi. Zovnishnja torgivlja: ekonomika, finansy, pravo. 2020. № 6. S. 35-47. Serija. Ekonomichni nauky.
|UDC 339.944:004.9||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2020(113)03|
JEL Classification: F 23; O 32
Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of World Economy
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
Deputy Director for Development of "HORSTECH" LLC
8, Tupoleva str., Kyiv, 04128, Ukraine
INTERNATIONAL STRATEGIC ALLIANCES: COOPERATION
OF COMPANIES IN THE IT SPHERE
Background. The IT market in Ukraine annually demonstrates continuous growth and development. This contributes to the fact that its participants are more in contact with their colleagues from other countries. International strategic alliances are becoming one of the most appropriate forms of partnership between domestic IT companies and leading foreign IT companies. In order to anticipate all the risks of joining the ISA, in particular not to lose its subjectivity due to the acquisition, it is necessary to understand the reasons, essence and consequences of the creation of international strategic alliances.
An analysis of recent research and publications has shown that despite the existence of some scientific achievements, the issues of forming international strategic alliances in the field of information technologies and the use of this type of cooperation by domestic IT companies remain unresolved.
Theaim of the article is to analyze international strategic alliances as forms of cooperation of companies in the IT sphere and the possibility of including Ukrainian companies in these relations.
Materials and methods. The research was conducted using the methods of theoretical generalization and analysis. The information base is domestic and foreign works on the functioning of ISAs, statistical sources and Internet resources.
Results. The factors that determine the transition from competition to cooperation and the formation of alliances between companies in the IT sector are identified. The types of alliances are described: tactical, quasi-strategic and strategic. It is noted that each of them can be both internal and external (international). The nature of the strategic alliance is analyzed, its characteristics are revealed. Based on the results of the generalized characteristics of the ISA in the IT sphere, its definition is given, on the basis of which the advantages of the alliance are described. It is noted that the peculiarities of the connections of its participants should be taken into account when solving many tasks related to the participation of domestic IT companies in the ISA for the internationalization of business and management. It is proved that in ISA as a pragmatic union the interests of the participants in the strategic direction of their development coincide: each of the participants focuses its activities on the common goals of the alliance.
Conclusion. The ISA of IT-sphere is proposed to be considered as a form of inter-firm interaction of IT companies that maintain independence based on the combination of complementary assets of each of them. If all parties of the alliance pursue strategic goals, then this alliance is created in the form of strategic, if there are other goals, the alliance will be tactical or quasi-strategic. In addition, any of the forms can be used to achieve certain business results. Unlike all others the strategic alliances, especially international strategic ones, require a stricter and more systematic management approach to success.
The interest of European and American IT companies in forming strategic alliances with leading Ukrainian companies was noted. However, the ultimate goals of such ISAs are not equal long-term partnership, but the acquisition of promising Ukrainian companies. The necessity of careful substantiation of decisions on the entry of domestic IT companies into the international strategic alliance, tactical and operational participation in its management, etc. is proved.
Keywords: alliances, international strategic alliance, form of cooperation, IT sphere, advantages, disadvantages.
- Morozova, I. V., & Chernova, A. V. (2020). Strategichni al'jansy jak fenomen global'noi' ekonomiky [Strategic alliances as a phenomenon of the global economy]. Pryazovs'kyj ekonomichnyj visnyk – Pryazovskyi Economic Herald, 1 (18), 14-19 [in Ukrainian].
- Blejky, D., Gomes-Kasseres, B., Gon, K., Do, Y., Kanter, R. & Nanda, A. (et.al.) (2008). Strategycheskye al'jansы [Strategic alliances]. LitRes [in Ukrainian].
- Echavarria, M. (2015). Enabling Collaboration: Achieving Success Through Strategic Alliances and Partnerships. LID Publishing [in English].
- Bernhard, N. (2000). Synergies in Strategic Alliances: Motivation and Outcomes of Complementary and Synergistic Knowledge Networks. Department of International Economics and Management, Copenhagen Business School [in English].
- Rahmati, P. (et al.) (2020). How Does the Positioning of Information Technology Firms in Strategic Alliances Influence Returns to R&D Investments? Forthcoming. Journal of the Association for Information Systems [in English].
- Tron'ko, V. (2010). Formuvannja mizhnarodnyh strategichnyh al'jansiv u sferi telekomunikacijnyh poslug [Formation of international strategic alliances in the field of telecommunications services]. Visnyk KNTEU – Herald of KNUTE, 4, 31-39 [in Ukrainian].
- Chernova, O. V., & Morozova, I. V. (2020). Strategichni al'jansy jak fenomen global'noi' ekonomiky [Strategic alliances as a phenomenon of the global economy]. Pryazovs'kyj ekonomichnyj visnyk – Pryazovskyi Economic Herald, (Vol. 1 18), (pp. 14-19) [in Ukrainian].
- Measuring the Information Economy (2002). Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/ internet/ieconomy/measuringtheinformationeconomy2002.htm (date of application: 12.08.2020) [in English].
- IT v Ukrai'ni: kudy my ruhajemosja [IT in Ukraine: where we are moving] (n.d.). dou.ua Retrieved from https://dou.ua/lenta/columns/future-of-it-ukraine/ (data zvernennja: 12.08.2020) [in Ukrainian].
- Riemer, K., Gogolin, M., & Klein, S. (2005). Introduction to Organizational Networks: Emergence, Motives, Classification and Types. Teaching Note. Institut fuer Wirtschaftsinformatik, Universitaet Muenster, (pp. 21-24) [in English].
- Hahanov, Ju. M. (2014). Modely prynjatyja upravlencheskyh reshenyj v al'jansah vysokotehnologychnyh kompanyj [Models of making management decisions in alliances of high-tech companies]: dys. … kand. еkon. nauk dis. … Cand. of Econ. Sciences: 08.00.05. Moscow [in Ukrainian].
- Best Practices Guidebook on Alliance Formation and Management (2000) [in English].
- Das, T., & Kumar, R. (2009). Interpartner harmony in strategic alliances: managing commitment and forbearance. International Journal of Strategic Business Alliances, (Vol. 1),1, 24-52 [in English]https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSBA.2009.023650.