Cite as APA style citation
Honcharova Yu., Udovenko M. Reguljuvannja dijal'nosti transnacional'nyh korporacij: evoljucija priorytetiv. Zovnishnja torgivlja: ekonomika, finansy, pravo. 2021. № 4. S. 4-16. Serija. Jurydychni nauky.
|UDC 339.92||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2021(117)01|
JEL Classification: K13, K23, K33
Candidate of Juridical Sciences, Associate Professor at the Department of International, Civil and Commercial Law
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
Applicant for higher education of «Master» degree
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
EVOLUTION OF PRIORITIES
Background. The legal status of TNCs in international law has become a separate topic of scientific discussions, which, among other things, concerned the influence of TNCs on the sovereignty of states. Digitalization, globalization and modern imperatives of formation of global value chains actualize the subject of relations between the international community and TNCs, which requires retrospective analysis, separation and substantiation of certain stages of formation of such relations.
An analysis of recent research and publications has revealed that a comprehensive analysis of the evolution of international legal regulation of TNCs through the prism of the priorities of the international community has not been conducted, which determines the relevance of the study.
The aim of the article is to analyze the genesis of the relationship between TNCs and the international community through the prism of the priorities of the international community at certain historical stages.
Materials and methods. The normative basis of the study were UN documents, decisions of the UN International Court of Justice. The methodological basis of the study is general scientific and special legal methods of cognition.
Results. The existing definitions of the terms «transnational corporation», «multinational enterprise», «multinational corporation», «global corporation», «group of multinational companies» in various documents of international law are considered. The genesis of the formation of international legal norms on the activities of transnational corporations is analyzed, the priorities of the international community in certain historical periods are highlighted. Key tasks for regulating the activities of transnational corporations are forecasted.
Conclusion. The phenomenon of TNCs remains one of the imperatives in the development of international law and the subject of activity of international governmental and non-governmental organizations. It is established that the priorities of the international community are gradually changing in the direction of complexity - from the purely socio-economic situation in developing countries to the role of TNCs in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, with special focus on protection of human rights in the activities of TNCs.
Keywords: transnational corporation, human rights, United Nations, corporate responsibility.
- Voon, T. (1999). Multinational enterprises and state sovereignty under international law. Adelaide Law Review, 21(2), 219-252 [in English].
- Lim, Alwyn (2021) «Global Fields, Institutional Emergence and the Regulation of Transnational Corporations». Social Forces, (Vol. 99), 3. Oxford University Press. DOI:10.1093/sf/soaa038 [in English] https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/soaa038.
- Jennifer, Bair (2007). From the Politics of Development to the Challenges of Globalization, Globalizations, 4:4, 486-499. DOI: 10.1080/14747730701695745 [in English] https://doi.org/10.1080/14747730701695745.
- Wouters, Jan, & Chané, Anna-Luise (2013). Multinational Corporations in International Law (December 1, 2013). KU Leuven Working Paper, 129. Retrieved from DOI: 10.2139/SSRN.2371216 [in English] https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2371216.
- Pogorec'ka, N. V. (2013). Shhodo pravovogo reguljuvannja transnacional'nyh korporacij. [Regarding the legal regulation of transnational corporations]. Juryst Ukrai'ny – Lawyer of Ukraine, 4. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/uy_2013_4_11 [in Ukrainian].
- Uvarova, O. (2018). Kerivni pryncypy shhodo biznesu i prav ljudyny: Realizacija Ramkovoji programy Organizaciji Ob’jednanyh Naciy̆ «Zahyst, povaga i zasoby zahystu» [Business and human rights Guidelines: Implementation of the United Nations Framework Program on «Protection, Respect and Remedies»]. Harkiv: Pravo [in Ukrainian].
- Moran, T. H. (2009). The United Nations and transnational corporations: A review and a perspective. Transnational Corporations, 18(2), 91-112. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.18356/8cbf8f8c-en [in English] https://doi.org/10.18356/8cbf8f8c-en.
- Clive, Schmitthoff (1971). «Multi-National Enterprises» New Law Journal,121(2) [in English].
- Code of Conduct on Transnational Corporations. UN. Economic and Social Council (1987, 1st sess. : New York). Retrieved from https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/156251 [in English].
- Norms on the responsibilities of transnational corporations and other business enterprises with regard to human rights (2003 U.N. Doc. E/CN.4/Sub.2/2003/12/Rev.2), Retrieved from http://www.unhchr.ch/Huridocda/Huridoca.nsf/(Symbol)/E.CN.4.Sub.2.2003.12.Rev.2.En?Opendocument [in English].
- Report of the Group of Eminent Persons to Study the Impact of Multinational Corporations on Development and on International Relations (1974). UN Doc Retrieved from E/5500/Rev.1, ST/ESA/6, 25 [in English].
- OECD. Glossary of foreign direct investment terms and definitions. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/daf/inv/investment-policy/2487495.pdf [in English].
- Barcelona Traction, Light and Power Company, Limited, arrêt, C. I. J. Recueil 1970. Retrieved from https://www.icj-cij.org/public/files/case-related/50/050-19700205-JUD-01-00-EN.pdf [in English].
- Calliess, Gralf-Peter (2011). «Introduction: Transnational Corporations Revisited», Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, (Vol. 18), (Issue2, Article 1) [in English] https://doi.org/10.2979/indjglolegstu.18.2.601.
- Schofer, Evan, Ann, Hironaka, David, John Frank & Wesley, Longhofer (2012). “Sociological Institutionalism and World Society”. In The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology, edited by Amenta, Edwin, Nash, Kate, Scott, Alan, (pp. 57–68). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing [in English] https://doi.org/10.1002/9781444355093.ch6.
- Deklaracyja ob ustanovlenyy novogo mezhdunarodnogo эkonomycheskogo porjadka. Rezoljucyja 3201 (S-VI) ot 1 maja 1974 goda [Declaration on the Establishment of a New International Economic Order. Resolution 3201 (S-VI) of 1 May 1974]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_339#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Programme of Action on the Establishment of a New International Economic Order. UN.General Assembly (6th special sess. : 1974). Retrieved from https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/218451 [in English].
- Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/5987our-common-future.pdf [in English].
- Coleman, D. (2003). The United Nations and transnational corporations: from an inter-state to a «beyond-state»model of engagement. Global Society, 17(4), 339-357 [in English] https://doi.org/10.1080/1360082032000132135.
- Peretvorennja nashogo svitu: Porjadok dennyj u sferi stalogo rozvytku do 2030 r. [Transforming our world: The agenda in the field of sustainable development until 2030]. Retrieved from https://www.ua.undp.org/content/ukraine/uk/home/library/sustainable-development-report/the-2030-agenda-for-sustainable-development.html [inUkrainian].
- Bachmann, Sascha-Dominik, Oliver, Vladimir, & Miretski, Pini Pavel (2012).Global Business and Human Rights – The UN «Norms on the Responsibility of Transnational Corporations and Other Business Enterprises with Regard to Human Rights» – A Requiem (November 12, 2011). Deakin Law Review, (Vol. 17), 1. Retrieved from https://ssrn.com/abstract=1958537orhttp://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1958537 [in English] https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1958537.
- Schwarz, E. C. (2019). Human vs. machine: framework of responsibilities and duties of transnational corporations for respecting human rights in the use of artificial intelligence. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, 58(1), 232-278 [in English].
- G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Communiqué updated 5 June, 2021. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/g7-finance-ministers-meeting-june-2021-communique/g7-finance-ministers-and-central-bank-governors-communique [in English].
- G20 Third Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors meeting Communiqué 9-10 July, 2021, Retrieved from https://www.g20.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Communique-Third-G20-FMCBG-meeting-9-10-July-2021.pdf [in English].
- OECD (2021). Addressing the tax challenges arising from the digitalisations of the economy. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/tax/beps/brochure-addressing-the-tax-challenges-arising-from-the-digitalisation-of-the-economy-july-2021.pdf [in English].