Kortukova T. Zahyst prav ukrai'ns'kyh trudovyh migrantiv u Jevropi. Zovnishnja torgivlja: ekonomika, finansy, pravo. 2021. № 4. S. 48-57. Serija. Jurydychni nauky.
|UDC 342.721-054.7(44)||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/zt.knute.2021(117)05|
JEL Classification: F66, J61, J83, K31
senior lecturer at the Department of International, Civil and Commercial Law, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
PROTECTION OF THE RIGHTS OF UKRAINIAN LABOR MIGRANTS IN EUROPE
Background. Citizens of Ukraine are one of the largest groups of seasonal workers in the European Union. At the same time, Ukrainian migrant workers often suffer violations of their rights abroad. In this aspect, Ukraine has an urgent task to protect the rights of Ukrainian seasonal migrant workers abroad. For European Union, despite the economic crisis that has led to higher unemployment, there is an urgent need for seasonal workers in the EU Member States, due to the fact that seasonal work is generally not attractive for the EU labor market.
The aim of the article is to determine the features of protection of the rights of Ukrainian seasonal migrant workers in the European Union.
Materials and methods. The research is carried out on the basis of general and special research methods, in particular, such as: discourse and content analysis, system analysis method, induction and deduction method, historical-legal method, formal-legal method, comparative-legal method, and others.
Results. Seasonal work is one of the types of temporary employment, which is limited to a certain period of time. In the European Union, seasonal work is not attractive to citizens of the European Union. In this regard, it should be noted that the Member States of the European Union have a long practice of attracting seasonal migrant workers to their labor market, which was especially intensified in the post-war period, characterized by labor shortages on the European continent, which led to this policy development. Today, with the onset of the global pandemic COVID-19 and the starting of lockdown, the European Union still needs seasonal migrant workers, especially in the agricultural sector, to perform seasonal work. In this area, the EU has developed supranational legislation, which was analyzed in the article.
Conclusion. Given that Ukrainians are one of the largest groups of seasonal workers in the European Union, it is important for Ukraine to protect its citizens abroad, which, in particular, can be strengthened by signing bilateral agreements with EU Member States on employment and social protection of Ukrainian citizens; agreements on mutual employment of employees; agreementson employment and cooperation in the field of labor migration, etc.
Keywords: labor migration; seasonal migration; the right to equal treatment; Seasonal Workers Directive; bilateral agreements on labor migration.
- Dei, M. (2018). Labor security in conditions of digital globalization. Fundamental and applied researches in practice of leading scientific schools, 2, 299-304 [in English].
- Kamins'ka, N. (2015). Problemy konceptual'nogo vyznachennja ponjattja derzhavnyh kordoniv u suchasnij jurydychnij nauci [Problems of conceptual definition of the concept of state borders in modern legal science]. Jurydychnyj chasopys Nacional'noi' akademii' vnutrishnih sprav – Legal Journal of the National Academy of Internal Affairs, 2, 16-27 [in Ukrainian].
- Malynovs'ka, O. (2016). Zovnishnja migracija gromadjan Ukrai'ny v konteksti skasuvannja vizovogo rezhymu poi'zdok do JeS [External migration of Ukrainian citizens in the context of the abolition of visa requirements for travel to the EU]. Demografija ta social'na ekonomika – Demography and social economy, 3, 58-69 [in Ukrainian] https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2016.03.058.
- Smyrnova, K. (2017). Dzherela prava Jevropejs'kogo Sojuzu: novitni tendencii' rozvytku [Sources of European Union law: the latest development trends]. Pravo Ukrai'ny – Law of Ukraine, 6, 90-97 [in Ukrainian].
- Fedorova, A. (2015). Misce ta rol' social'noi' polityky v Ugodi pro asociaciju mizh Ukrai'noju ta Jevropejs'kym Sojuzom [The place and role of social policy in the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union]. Law of Ukraine – Law of Ukraine, 8, 93-101 [in Ukrainian].
- Shpakovych, O. (2014). Spivvidnoshennja nadnacional'nosti mizhnarodnyh organizacijta suverenitetu i'hnih derzhav-chleniv [The relationship between the supranationality of international organizations and the sovereignty of their member states]. Viche – Chamber, 20, 28-32 [in Ukrainian].
- Denysov, A. (2019). Perspektyvy stvorennja special'nyh pravovyh rezhymiv dlja trudovyh migrantiv [Prospects for creating special legal regimes for migrant workers]. Informacija i pravo – Information and law, 2, 172-178 [in Ukrainian].
- Berezhna, N. I. (2018). Mizhnarodna migracija robochoi' syly ta shljahy i'i' reguljuvannja na derzhavnomu, miscevomu ta osobystisnomu rivnjah [International labor migration and ways to regulate it at the state, local and personal levels]. Naukovo-vyrobnychyj zhurnal «Biznes-navigator» – Research and production magazine «Business Navigator», 3, 37-40 [in Ukrainian].
- Libanova, E., & Poznjak, O. (2020). Zovnishnja trudova migracija z Ukrai'ny: vplyv COVID-19 [External labor migration from Ukraine: the impact of COVID-19]. Demografija ta social'na ekonomika – Demography and social economy, 4, 25-40 [in Ukrainian] https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2020.04.025.
- Achiume, E. Tendayi (2018). The Fatal Flaw in International Law for Migration. The Columbia Journal of Transnational LawAssoc, (Vol. 56), 2, 257-62 [in English].
- Spencer, Sarah (et al.) (2020). Migrants with Irregular Status in Europe: Evolving Conceptual and Policy Challenges. Migrants with Irregular Status in Europe: Evolving Conceptual and Policy Challenges, Springer Nature [in English] https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-34324-8.
- Ian, M. Kysel, & Chantal, Thomas (2020). The Contested Boundaries of Emerging International Migration Law in the Post-Pandemic. AJIL Unbound. (Vol. 114), Cambridge University Press, (pp. 349-530). DOI: 10.1017/aju.2020.67 [in English] https://doi.org/10.1017/aju.2020.67.
- Barnard, Catherine, & Sarah, Fraser Butlin. (2020). The Rule of Law and Access to the Courts for EU Migrants. Journal of Common Market Studies. WILEY, (Vol. 58), 6, 1621-34. DOI: 10.1111/jcms.13112 [in English] https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.13112.
- De Bruycker, Philippe (2021). The COVID Virus Crisis Resurrects the Public Health Exception in EU Migration Law. Frontiers in Political Science, (Vol. 2). DOI: 10.3389/fpos.2020.618664 [in English] https://doi.org/10.3389/fpos.2020.618664.
- Kurunova, Ju. O., Gornjak, O. V. (et al.) (2013). Suchasna migracija jak forma i chynnyk rozvytku mizhnarodnyh ekonomichnyh vidnosyn v movah global'nyh transformacij [Modern migration as a form and factor in the development of international economic relations in the context of global transformations]. Ekonomika i upravlinnja v umovah global'nyh transformacij. Monografija –Economicsand management in the context of global transformations. Monograph. Odesa: ONU imeni I. I. Mechnykova, (pp. 335-348) [in Ukrainian].
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the European Council and the Council COVID-19: Temporary Restriction on Non-Essential Travel to the EU (2020). Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-115-F1-EN-MAIN-PART-1.PDF [in English].
- Directive 2014/36/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on the conditions of entry and stay of third-country nationals for the purpose of employment as seasonal workers. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.L_.2014.094.01.0375.01. ENG [in English].
- Töttős, A. The Past, the Present and the Future of the Seasonal Workers Directive. (2014). Pécs Journal of International and European Law, 1, 45-60 [in English].
- Gaygusuz v. Austria. Retrieved from https://www.refworld.org/cases,ECHR,3ae6b6f12c.html [in English].
- Case of Andrejeva v. Latvia. Retrieved from https://www.refworld.org/cases,ECHR,49a654aa2.html [in English].
- Council Directive 2003/109/EC of 25 November 2003 concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32003L0109 [in English].
- Council Directive 2009/50/EC of 25 May 2009 on the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for the purposes of highly qualified employment. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32009L0050 [in English].
- Ugoda pro asociaciju mizh Ukrai'noju, z odnijei' storony, ta Jevropejs'kym Sojuzom, Jevropejs'kym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi' energii' i i'hnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi' storony [Association Agreement between Ukraine, on the one hand, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, on the other hand]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_011 [in Ukrainian].
- Volohov, O. S. (2012). Dvostoronni mizhnarodni dogovory jak dzherela trudovogo prava Ukrai'ny. Mizhnarodni chytannja z mizhnarodnogo prava pam’jati profesora P. Je. Kazans'kogo: mater. III mizhnar. nauk. konf. [Bilateral international agreementsas sources of labor law of Ukraine. International readings on international law in memory of Professor P.Ye. Kazansky: mater. of III Intern. Scient. Conf. (Odessa, November 2-3, 2012). NU OJuA. Odesa: Feniks (m. Odesa, 2–3 lystopada 2012 r.). NU OJuA. Odesa: Feniks, (pp. 345-350) [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda mizh Ukrai'noju ta Ispanijeju shhodo vreguljuvannja ta uporjadkuvannja trudovyh migracijnyh potokiv mizh dvoma derzhavamy [Agreement between Ukraine and Spain on the settlement and regulation of labor migration flows between the two countries]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/724_024#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda mizh Ukrai'noju ta Portugal's'koju Respublikoju pro tymchasovu migraciju gromadjan Ukrai'ny dlja roboty v Portugal's'kij Respublici [Agreement between Ukraine and the Portuguese Republic on temporary migration of Ukrainian citizens to work in the Portuguese Republic]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/620_006#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda mizh KMU ta Urjadom Lytovs'koi' Respubliky pro pracevlashtuvannja ta spivrobitnyctvo u sferi trudovoi' migracii' [Agreement between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Lithuania on employment and cooperation in the field of labor migration]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/440_006-18#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda mizh Urjadom Ukrai'ny ta Urjadom Latvijs'koi' Respubliky pro trudovu dijal'nist' ta social'nyj zahyst osib, jaki postijno prozhyvajut' v Ukrai'ni ta Latvii' i pracjujut' na terytorijah oboh derzhav [Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Latvia on employment and social protection of persons permanently residing in Ukraine and Latvia and working in the territories of both states]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/428_016#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ugoda mizh Urjadom Ukrai'ny ta Urjadom Respubliky Pol'shha pro vzajemne pracevlashtuvannja pracivnykiv [Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Poland on mutual employment of employees]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/616_026#Text [in Ukrainian].